Let's Know About
Binaural Beats ?
When listening to music with two tones that have different frequencies, the tones align with brain waves, producing another beat with a different frequency (Brennan, 2021). The new beat produced is referred to as a binaural beat. For instance if you listened to a tone of a 320 Hz in one ear and 328 Hz in the other, you would hear a 8 Hz tone, the binaural beat. There are five types of brain waves produced by different frequencies including beta, gamma, theta, delta and alpha waves (Brennan, 2021)
Benefits of Binaural Beats
Each type of binaural beat can procure unique benefits according to a WebMD article proofed by Dr. Brennan:
- Delta waves (1-4 Hz): deep sleep and relaxation
- Theta waves (4-8 Hz): reduce anxiety, relaxation, enhancing creativity.
- Alpha waves(8-14 Hz): decrease anxiety, relaxation positivity, focus
- Beta( 14-30 Hz): increase concentration, alertness, problem solving and better memory.
- Gamma (30-100 Hz): increasing cognitive enhancement, memory, creativity
Research proves the benefits binaural beats can provide
- In a study published in the credited journal, Frontiers in Psychology, scientists concluded that listening to a combination of binaural beats led to a “26.3% decline in anxiety” among participants and overall greater awareness (Chaieb et al., 2015).
- Another study identified that participants that listened to binaural beats at the 15Hz “ “increasing accuracy in visuospatial working memory task[s]” that lasted only 5 minutes by 3%” (Beauchene, Christine et al., 2016).
- A study accessed by the NIH also notes that listening to binaural beats can reduce mild anxiety (Le Scouarnec et al. 2001).
- Listening to binaural beat audio facilitates memory to further enhance it as well (Kennerly, 2008).
So How Can You Integrate Binaural Beats?
- All that is needed is an audio track and a pair of headphones
- Remove yourself from distractions and lay down with the headphones on
- Listen to the audio track for 30 minutes, but even 10-15 minutes a day can help as well.
Links to various binaural beat audio tracks:
- Beta Waves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA6nSQawROM
- Gamma Waves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLEek3I3wac
- Delta Waves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njHvGxZgTPk